Who is Dante?Edit
Dante is the demon-slaying badass from the Devil May Cry series on the Playstation 2, and he has the added benefit of his series having one of the highest sales-per-release ratios of any gaming series ever made. Devil May Cry was a huge success, but Devil May Cry 2 was arguably one of the worst games ever made, and it helped to tarnish Dante's infallable image a bit; however, Devil May Cry 3 brought redemption to the series and then some, as many gamers and game reviewers consider it to be the best in the series. Devil May Cry 4 managed to be a few pegs down from the first and third titles, but was still leagues above the second.
"Looks like I'm getting closer..." - Dante Sparda
Dante's Contest HistoryEdit
Win-Loss Record: 15-9
Summer 2002 Contest - East Division - 4 Seed
- Eastern Round 1 --- Defeated (13) Q*Bert, 40745 [70.01%] - 17453 [29.99%]
- Eastern Quarterfinal --- Lost to (5) Crono, 22055 [33.42%] - 43939 [66.58%]
- Extrapolated Strength --- 18th Place [25.02%]
Summer 2003 Contest - West Division - 4 Seed
- Western Round 1 --- Defeated (13) Ryo Hazuki, 74068 [77.65%] - 21316 [22.35%]
- Western Quarterfinal --- Lost to (5) Ryu, 43649 [45.99%] - 51258 [54.01%]
- Extrapolated Strength --- 21st Place [27.32%]
Summer 2004 Contest - Chaos Division - 4 Seed
- Chaos Round 1 --- Defeated (13) Ratchet, 59437 [80.28%] - 14602 [19.72%]
- Chaos Quarterfinal --- Defeated (12) Miles "Tails" Prower, 45109 [57.40%] - 33472 [42.60%]
- Chaos Semifinal --- Lost to (1) Sonic the Hedgehog, 30033 [37.97%] - 49057 [62.03%]
- Extrapolated Strength --- 23rd Place [25.49%]
Dante has been a 4th seeded character in all of his Summer Contest appearances. He has the strength to eliminate fodder with ease, however has not reached that stride to take down, let alone compete, with the famed "Noble Nine". Barring a smashing success for DMC3, Dante will always be good enough to win a match or two, but the Sweet 16 will always be his downfall.
Summer 2005 Contest - Devil Division - 1 Seed
- Devil Round 1 --- Defeated (8) Terra Branford, 69379 [71.5%] - 27652 [28.5%]
- Devil Semifinal --- Lost to (5) Vincent Valentine, 45893 [46.00%] - 53882 [54.00%]
- Extrapolated Strength --- 17th Place [29.99%]
While it's easy to look at how Dante did in this contest and chalk it up to another of his typical second round choke jobs, it was a bit different this time around. Damn near everyone expected Dante to go out and get absolutely killed by Vincent, but Dante turned around and put his 1 seed and possibly DMC3 boost to good use in taking the early lead in the match. Dante would go on to lose, but in his entire contest career his most impressive match is arguably his second round loss against Vincent. People figured that Vincent would easily break 60% or more on him, but Dante held tough in proving that he was no fluke.
The issue of course is whether or not Dante can keep this up. Devil May Cry 4 is in the works, but the PS3 is still a ways away.
Summer 2006 Contest - Patriot Division - 2 Seed
- Patriot Round 1 --- Defeated (2) Ryu Hayabusa, 77894 [65.20%] - 41576 [34.80%]
- Patriot Semifinal --- Lost to (6) Yoshi, 64072 [49.45%] - 65497 [50.55%]
- Extrapolated Strength --- 11th Place [39.73%]
DMC3 or no, not even Dante can escape thousands of kids on GoombaFAQs.com =p. Before 2005, no way in hell does Dante blow that match. And note that Yoshi is my preferred character of the two, so don't call me biased.
Summer 2007 Contest - Division 6 - First Group
- Division 6 Round 1 --- 1st place, 67963 [49.19%] - Amaterasu, 31431 [22.75%] - Little Mac, 22851 [16.54%] - Matt, 15910 [11.52%]
- Division 6 Round 2 --- 1st place, 53240 [43.41%] - Amaterasu, 25540 [20.83%] - Ada Wong, 23800 [19.41%] - Balthier Bunansa, 20051 [16.35%]
- Division 6 Final --- 2nd place, 39904 [30.43%] - Pikachu, 44304 [33.79%] - Leon Kennedy, 31279 [23.85%] - Amaterasu, 15644 [11.93%]
- Contest Quarterfinal --- 2nd place, 37086 [26.59%] - Master Chief, 44799 [32.12%] - Luigi, 32179 [23.07%] - Pikachu, 25420 [18.22%]
- Contest Semifinal --- 4th place, 24880 [15.13%] - L-Block, 56925 [34.63%] - Solid Snake, 43081 [26.20%] - Master Chief, 39515 [24.04%]
This was easily Dante's most successful contest to date, in part because he was placed in a very easy division. He scored the best percentage by a non-Noble Niner in the contest with his first round performance. Sure, his competition was laughable at best, but the point stands. He won his second round match without breaking a sweat as well before running into a bit of a snag in the Division 6 finals. Apparently, there was a measure of Capcom LFF with Leon Kennedy that held Dante back a bit, which ended up putting him second to Pikachu, an unexpected turn of events. He rebounded in the quarterfinals to oust the rat and make the semifinals. Don't hold that last performance against him. He was up against the L-Block rampage, a Noble Niner, and a Master Chief who was at his best in this format. You couldn't expect that much from him there.
Summer 2008 Contest - Division 7 - Fourth Group
- Division 7 Round 1 --- 1st place, 64557 [50.08%] - Hogger, 21678 [16.82%] - Ramza Beoulve, 21528 [16.70%] - Laharl, 21134 [16.40%]
- Division 7 Round 2 --- 1st place, 47863 [33.90%] - Leon Kennedy, 43486 [30.80%] - Riku, 31381 [22.23%] - Hogger, 18460 [13.07%]
- Division 7 Finals --- 2nd place, 37324 [26.15%] - Kirby, 42756 [29.96%] - Master Chief, 34425 [24.12%] - Leon Kennedy, 28204 [19.76%]
- Contest Quarterfinal --- 4th place, 22947, [16.90%] - Sephiroth, 52270 [38.50%] - Kirby, 31357 [23.10%] - Sonic the Hedgehog, 29182 [21.50%]
Like in the previous contest Dante's path was quite the interesting one. Dante became the first non-Noble Nine character to break 50% in a four-ways match, which goes to show you the strength of his first match. Dante was also able to get revenge on Master Chief for defeating him twice in the previous contest now that Halo 3 hype had finally died down, but at the same time Kirby was able to defeat Dante closing another chapter in a most wanted match. Dante was also hyped to defeat Sonic in the quarterfinal due to Auron exposing Sonic in an earlier round and Sonic and Kirby having a Brawl overlap. In an interesting twist it was Kirby that pulled the upset while Dante performed as expected.
Winter 2010 Contest - Midgar Division - 2 Seed
- Midgar Round 1 --- Defeated (15) Axel, 49791 [69.37%] - 21988 [30.63%]
- Midgar Round 2 --- Lost to (7) Ryu, 37139 [49.65%] - 37670 [50.36%]
- Extrapolated Strength --- 18th Place [31.39%]
This contest ran very similar to 2006. Even though Dante and Ryu had a match in 2003 ever since 2005 Dante has performed better than Ryu. Even in the first round Dante was able to defeat a supposedly stronger opponent compare to Balthier by more than Ryu and like Yoshi Dante was unable to push a little harder to get a win. That match will always be remembered as Hockey Factor. The match occurred during the Canada/USA Gold Medal Hockey Game for the Winter Olympics. Due to North America favouring Ryu during the intermissions Ryu would jump up in percent and during the actual game Dante would increase. This of course only stalled the inevitable and once the hockey game ended Ryu went on for an easy win. Some people blamed the result on the 2 seed curse that plagued the 2 seeds in this contest.
Summer 2013 Contest - Division 5 - 2 Seed
- Division 5 Round 1 - 1st place, 17305 [60.08%] - (17) Laharl, 7369 [25.59%] - (26) Raz, 4128 [14.33%]
- Division 5 Round 2 - 2nd place, 10493 [31.55%] - (5) Squirtle, 14662 [44.08%] - (11) Zidane Tribal, 8105 [24.37%]
With the flop of the new Devil May Cry game and even though technically that Dante was not the same as this Dante there was some debate as to whether he has become weaker. After the first round it seemed to look as if he retained his old strength which made his second round performance all the more surprising. The match was debated, but he was expected to win yet he was closer to Zidane than Squirtle. While Squirtle would go to do some impressive things it does not excuse Dante, as his performance against Zidane was still far what was expected from him.
Fall 2018 Contest - Division 1 - 1 Seed
- Division 1 Round 1 --- Defeated (16) Cuphead, 18896 [71.59%] - 7498[28.41%]
- Division 1 Round 2 --- Defeated (9) Lightning, 18682 [65.62%] - 9787 [34.38%]
- Division 1 Semifinal --- Lost to (4) Ganondorf, 12926 [43.6%] - 16720 [56.4%]
Another Devil May Cry game on the horizon boosted Dante to a 1 seed again. And at first he made his best to show it was earned, slaughtering a cult character and a divisive Final Fantasy protagonist. But then the main Zelda villain in a contest where Nintendo was at an all-time high proved to be too much for the devil slayer.